NAME OF ORGANIZATION
The name of this Club is the Columbia Pride Alumni Association. Its membership shall include all alumni, including but not limited to those who identify as lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, transgender, queer or questioning (LGBTQ), their partners or spouses, and any honorary Columbians.
The purposes for which the Club is formed are:
- to foster and promote camaraderie among LGBTQ alumni through social, academic and intellectual events.
- to foster and promote the interests of Columbia University in a wide variety of regards including but not limited to LGBTQ concerns, mentoring and support of alumni and undergraduate and graduate affinity groups.
- to engage in community advocacy where the board and members deem appropriate for the group and University.
OFFICERS AND EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
- The officers of the Club shall be a President, a Treasurer, and any number of Vice Presidents, all of whom will also compose the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Election of Executive Committee shall take place at the Annual Meeting of the Club. The Annual Meeting of the Club shall be held in September or October of each year. All members of the Board of Directors must be given at least fourteen (14) days written notice of the Annual Meeting. Officers shall hold office for two years from the date of election and must be members in good standing. No Executive Committee member shall hold the office of President for more than two terms in succession. Vacancies may be filled at any time by the Nominating Committee/Executive Committee of the Board of Directors. Any officer may be removed by the Board for cause. Any vote to remove an officer for cause must be circulated to the entire Board of Directors, including the officer in question, at least fourteen (14) days before the meeting at which the vote will take place. All officers of the club must attend a minimum of two (2) Columbia Pride or Columbia Pride-cosponsored events each year and organize at least one (1) event each year.
- The President shall be the principal executive officer of the Club. They shall preside at all meeting of the members and of the Board of Directors, and shall have the usual authority of a chief executive, including the authority and duties mentioned in these bylaws, including but not limited to calling at least six (6) meetings of the Board of Directors each year. Candidates for President must have served for at least one (1) year on the Board of Directors before running for President.
- The Treasurer shall collect all fees and dues and shall keep the accounts of the Club, shall report verbally and in writing at each regular meeting of the Executive Committee and at each Annual Meeting. They shall pay all bills upon the certificate of their correctness by the officer of the Chair of the committee which incurred the debt. They shall notify all persons eligible for membership of their eligibility and the amount of their fees and dues. They shall send out all dues notices in the month of January in each year, except in the cases that membership dues are prorated. They shall perform such other duties as the Board may direct.
- A member of the Executive Committee appointed or volunteered shall give notice of all regular and special meetings of the Club and of the Executive Committee and shall keep the minutes of the Club proceedings. They shall extend a personal welcome to all alumni moving into the district and shall both make them aware of and invite them to participate in the activities of the Club. Further, the Executive Committee member shall perform such other duties as the Board might direct in this capacity.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Board of Directors shall be composed of the Executive Committee, and any members so chosen by the whole of the Executive Committee. The Executive Committee will act as the Board of Directors in any expected capacity until the Executive Committee elects to form a Board of Directors and establish procedures therein.
Standing committees may be established by a vote of the Board of Directors and may include but are not limited to: Recent Alumni, Networking/Mentoring, Special Interest Group Outreach, Communications.
MEMBERSHIP AND DUES
(1) The Club shall consist of Regular, Honorary, and Voting members. Those eligible for membership shall be:
(a) Alumni of any school or division of Columbia University residing in the territory of the Club. An alumnus is any person who has attended Columbia for one semester or longer, including summer session.
(b) Partners/spouses of Columbia alumni
(c) Widows/widowers of Columbia alumni
(d) Honorary: anyone so designated by the Club, regardless of previous affiliation with Columbia.
(2) The dues of Voting members shall be $ 20.00 (US) per year.
(3) Honorary and student members shall be exempt from the payment of dues. They shall enjoy all the privileges of regular members, except that they shall not hold office, nor vote, nor have any right in or title to or interest in the property of the Club.
No part of the activities of this organization shall be the carrying on of propaganda, or otherwise attempting to influence legislation, and this organization shall not participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing and distribution of statements) any political campaign on behalf of any candidate for public office.
Unless sooner terminated as provided in the bylaws, the existence of this organization shall terminate when fewer than five regular members of this organization are enrolled.
Upon the dissolution of this Club, after paying or making provision for all its obligations and liabilities, all of the assets of the organization shall be distributed to Columbia University, so long as it is organized and operated exclusively for charitable, educational, religious, or scientific purposes as shall at the time qualify as an exempt organization under section 501(c)(3) of the IRS Code.
These bylaws may be altered, amended or repealed and new bylaws may be adopted by a vote of a majority of all the Officers at any meeting of the Executive Committee, provided that written notice of any such proposed action shall be given to all of the Executive Committee at least fourteen days prior to such meeting it the manner above provided.